There is always a lot of focus on the main dishes and appetizers on game day but what about the desserts? Here is a great game day dessert that is easy to make and tastes great!
We Won Whoopie Pies
You will need:
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 7-ounce jar of marshmallow creme
1 box of chocolate cake mix ( water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box )
mini egg shaped baking tray or silicone baking mold
- For Filling, using an electric mixer beat powdered sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl until fluffy (about 2 minutes), add marshmallow creme; beat until blended and smooth. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- For Football Cakes, prepare cake batter per directions on the box; cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray your egg shaped pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Fill the egg molds to just below the lip and smooth out the batter the best you can. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake cakes until test toothpick comes out clean, this should be around 15-18 minutes. When the cakes are done baking, let cool.
- Once cakes have cooled gently release from the egg molds.
- To Fill, cut each cake in half brushing off any loose crumbs.
- Put a large dollop of your filling on one cake half then place the other half on top, gently push down. Don’t worry if the filling starts to come out of the sides, you can clean it up later with a butter knife to make it look pretty.
- To Line the Laces, you can pipe the laces on to the tops of your footballs with a pastry bag using a small round tip. If you do not have a pastry bag you can also do this using a plastic sandwich bag. Fill the sandwich bag with some of your filling then using a pair of scissors, cut a very small hole in the corner of the bag for piping. Be careful not to cut too large of a hole because this will determine the thickness of your laces.